Thursday, July 29, 2010

The last few days were quite great. We managed to complete the square on Shakespeare plays- history, romance, tragedy, comedy. Last Thursday the 22nd's performance of Romeo and Juliet was very much enjoyed at the Said business school. It was stadium seating outdoors, and the music and costumes were quite different. Tuesday the 27th evening's performance of a Midsummer Night's Dream was also highly entertaining, with costumes from the earliest 20th century and this I would have to call my favorite. Having seen Megg's sister's performance of it, it was familiar and enjoyable to make connections.I think it was a good note to end on as well- hilarious.

I managed to jeopardize the weekend a bit with my lack of a working essay- so this was frustrating. I think the topic change threw me off slightly but I know myself and this is the type of thing to learn from. The results though were rewarding and it's been pretty great to learn under an Oxford English professor at any rate-I will remember this. Two papers for this course complete, anthropomorphism and routes of morality being the topics. Discussions over tea have been wonderful- both stimulating and inspiring. I'd like to finish the rest of some of the fantasy series we read. It was a very helpful course for posing questions and initiating discussions, it's inspired me to take a different perspective on participating in my geography and anthropology courses- one that I hadn't quite exercised before.

Monday was the White Horse as I had written about, Tuesday (27th) a few of us went back to London. This time went much more smoothly despite the running around afterward. First we walked by Buckingham palace, the Queen's quarters. We saw a pack of deep brown horses being rid by men in their red guards- not quite the changing of the guards but they were on the way to their posts. There was a stature of queen Victoria before the palace. We went to the British Museum which had quite an extensive collection. I was happy to see the Rosetta Stone and the Olduvai hand tools(thanks to the Leaky's), and the South African landscape exhibit. Megg got to meet up here with an Estonian friend, so I was quite happy for her as well : ), making global connections is a beautiful opportunity. We also attempted to run to Harrods afterward, but it was too far to go to get back to the bus in time. I'd say the day was a pretty fulfilling experience. London has so much to offer, but I've learned from all of our journeys here that the most remote and rural places are also the most vibrant. When speaking of towns, Oxford is one that will stick close to the heart, it's familiar and nostalgic, whereas I think London is so big that one remains distant from it even after repeated visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment