Thursday, July 22, 2010

mažas pasaulis

Small world-

So at Wadham there are these cleaners called scouts, who come by each morning and take away the trash and give you new towels and that sort. We used to have this woman named Avril, but recently another woman has been working in our staircase instead. I was coming out of my room the other day and overheard Casey and the scout talking, and Casey says- oh Frances's heritage is Lithuanian....WHAT? How exciting, our scout is Lithuanian and I had no idea! Her name is Dzeneta (I'm assuming and hope this is the correct spelling, pronounced like the English Jen-etta, J's in Lithuanian sound like a y). So she lives outside of Kaunas and I hope to befriend her, because one can never have enough Lithuanian friends and connections! She was saying how her English wasn't very good ( I would argue against this) and that she speaks just Lithuanian at home. She is far from home though, and since the language isn't common here I hoped it was somewhat heart-warming? to hear one's own language unexpectedly. My own skills are so minimal but now we have the entire hallway of BSC students saying Labas Rytas when we see her. I speak English and pretty much only English (unfortunately) at the moment, and I'm in England where they speak English; I'm less distanced from my own culture in that sense. So I would imagine it would mean something different for Dzeneta. I told her I'm traveling to Lithuania next summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment